[TYPO3-content-rendering] [Typo3-dev] Less features, more future

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Oct 12 13:41:26 CEST 2005

>> 3. Content Elements: search box, login have been superseded by
>> index_search and newloginbox (and others). Either replace them or get
>> rid of them completely.
>
> Hmm. I agree for modern sites they should be disabled. Yet, they do
> their simple job.

Exactly - and in most cases we didn't even use the newloginbox, since it was
simply impossible to implement it using TypoScript only.
Reason: the hardcoded "_STORAGE_PID" - as long as it is hardcoded you can't
use a universal Loginbox with dynamic pids to get the user records from
different sysfolders for different positions of the page tree.
Imagine for example a page with different sections that have their own
fe_users stored in their own sysfolder. Editors are allowed to maintain
their sysfolder only. But still there should be only one Loginbox that will
be inserted on every page using TypoScript. Impossible with the newloginbox.
Another reason for not using the newloginbox: Hardcoded HTML Tags for forms
and tables. The content element login is created based on pure TypoScript
and thus much more flexible than the newloginbox.

This brings me to the major issue when it comes to a new concept of  "smart
content rendering".
IMHO we should stick to the following rules, while producing the new content
rendering stuff:

1. No hardcoded values and tags in the PHP files at all. They should be
replaced with TypoScript settings to keep backwards compatibility. The
default setting should be the "correct" behaviour though, while the "old
school" behaviour can be acchieved by setting something like
config.backwardsCompatibility = 1
2. TypoScript should be used as much as possible.
3. Every Content Element should get a set of predefined HTML Templates plus
a flexform to use custom templates (plus the ability to define HTML
templates to be used via TypoScript)
4. No inlines styles - they should be generated as dynamic stylesheets using
a default typeNum. So each time the page is rendered it will create classes
and ids for the tags _and_ the corresponding stylesheet.
5. Users must be able to override 3. and 4. using TypoScript and/or custom
PHP functions

There might be more, but these are the main things I would like to improve.

What do you think?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau