[TYPO3-content-rendering] ALT and TITLE

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Nov 29 18:12:47 CET 2005

Kai Laborenz schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>
>>> maybe I missed it. The COA IMAGE assigns the alt value also to the
>>> title attribute - this is not good practice.
>>
>> Well, it's the x-browser way to get those tooltips.
>
> I dont think so. The x-browser way to get tooltips is supplying a title
> text. Alt text is for replacing an image, not for additional information.

I know. But there used to be a difference between IE/Netscape/Mozilla. I
recall that older IEs ignored the title attribute and that Mozilla used
(IMHO correctly) only title as tooltip.

So the usual workaround was to abuse alt for title and setting both.
Which is of course dull.

I'd remove this auto-title thingy completely, but if folks like it, it
should be able to turn ot off by eg setting title to - (hyphen). This
would be consistent with the placeholders in RTE typolinks.

Masi