[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

Christopher manager at no5pambedlamno5pamhotel.com
Wed Jul 6 20:54:37 CEST 2005

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> "Stefan Beylen" <intsys at swissinfo.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1.1120501026.12642.typo3-project-content-rendering at lists.netfielders.de...
>
>>Christopher wrote:
>>
>>>I'm inclined to agree,
>>
>>ok, its not in the discussion anymore anyways as a <li> element is the
>>better choice for the images.
>

> Hehe, have fun with styling. LIs are not stylable X-browser. IE and Mozilla
> disagree where to apply margins and paddings.

This is ridiculous. So what if they disagree? Do you seriously let
Mozilla and IE style your pages for you?

> Masi
>
> PS: Besides I still don't believe that LIs or DFNs add anything useful to
> the semantics of the page when it comes to images.

This is debatable. The real problem with most of these discussions of
markup and semantics is that people usually mistake (x)html for xml by
implying that it can be used to fully describe the marked up
information. It can't. (x)html on its own is a very inadequate tool for
this task since it can only describe content in an extremely general
way. For all the ranting we hear about semantics, even the much debated
'tabular data' is not always easily distinguishable from an unordered
list (e.g. in any table without strong relationships in both x and y
directions the data starts looking quite list-like...)

Is a list inherently better for marking up a set of images than a parent
div containing several child divs? As far as I can see, it's better only
inasmuch as the <ul> makes the structural relationship explicit in a way
the simply nesting the divs does not. It's /far/ more a matter of
convenience than semantics.

-Christopher