[TYPO3-content-rendering] Imgtext changes, better compatibility

Christopher bedlamminusspamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 22:45:15 CEST 2005

Matthias Nagl wrote:
> I think that's exactly the point: using definition-lists for captions is some
> kind of misuse. I had a look aroud the web and didn't find any
> W3C-recommandations concerning this. On the W3C page itself there are mostly
> simple <p> wraped captions under the images. The definition-list method was
> only mentioned as workaround on a german accessibility-page that seems to me
> not really offical.

This is not really true _either_. According to the w3c themselves, a
definition list is a very generic kind of element - categorically _not_
only for marking up dictionaries, glossaries and other term:definition
pairs (from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html#h-10.3):

"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues,
with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

>>Though I happen to disagree. Unfortunately there is no set of (X)HTML
>>that really represtents an "object"/caption relationship. A single item
>>is no list.

I happen to disagree with your disagreement :-) See the above comment
from the html 4 spec. The issue is that (x)html is _extremely_ generic
and simply does not have a rich enough set of elements to create markup
that's "semantic" in any meaningful way. As you've both pointed out, not
everything can be a heading, paragraph or a list...

-Christopher