[TYPO3-community] Community Project - some questions

Alexander Heim aheim at gkl.de
Fri Aug 24 10:54:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

my name is Alex. Currently i try to migrate a quite big community from
postnuke to typo3 to get more possibilities for extending the
functionality of this community. I'm searching for some people to
discuss, which extensions are currently the best way to work together
with other ones, which will be still developed and of course, what could
be work in a better way and what is currently missing. I started with a
small extension by myself to learn the process of extension-developing
in typo3. I'm a professional developer for more than 12 years now.

So. Now my ideas.

I'm testing following existing extensions:

- mm_forum for board, profile and messaging
- cwt_amihot für user-galeries
- cwt_community for buddy-lists and guestbook
- gsi_whoisonline with a small change to work together with the
profile-function of mm_forum
- mjseventpro for events
- mg_help for tickets
- and tt_news, sg_newsplus und sg_zfelib for news, posting stories and
somehow blog-functionality

What i want:

One of the first points i miss, is a common extension for showing
user-profiles, which is called from any other extension. cwt and
mm_forum using their own ones and if i have a buddy-list and click on
the symbol to show the profil of a user, i get the profile from cwt and
inside mm_forum and messaging the one from mm_forum. there are hooks
missing, where i could tell, please use this extension, url or whatever.
mm_forum and cwt adding fields to the user-table. but only their own
fields are visible in their own profiles. Just the basic information
like name, email and so on is used together.

The second problem is, that tt_news has no possibility for selecting
just news from a specific user. Integrating a blog would be really easy,
if i could tell, that tt_news is showing just news, which user xyz has
posted. So every user could write a blog in their own profile.

Just one example, of what i would need (my personal nice to have list):

User-Registration and User-Profile. In the backend i would love to have
the possibility to add fields, configure these fields with following
if the field can be empty, who can see this field (all, members,
friends, just the user) and then a box, where i can enter
configuration-stuff for combo, radio and checkboxlist list of values and
text, for image maximum widht, height, file-size and so on. because of
the problem, that some extensions have their own fields and are unable
to work with fields from other extensions, a special box for selecting
synchronize from and synchronize to would be great. And maybe a thrid
one for direct access.

Login with better login box and/or other extensions is working already
perfect in my eyes.

Integration of this profile in other extensions and possibilities for
the user to change the layout of their own profile would be the next step.

I think, this is one of the most important part of getting different
extensions for community features working together.

I would like to have a community with the best functionality from
postnuke, myspace and livejournal *dreaming*.

Why i'm writing here. I'm searching for other people, who are interested
to check, which kind of extensions could be used for great community
features, which should be rewritten, extended or which just need to be
developed. It would be great to contact developers of existing
extensions to invite them for discussions and opening their own
extensions for better integration.

At the end it would be nice to have some manuals for new users to tell,
how they could build a community with typo3. Something, which is much
more better than postnuke and co. And maybe we could offer some prebuild
typo3 community package.

Okay. Quite a long text and sorry for my english *g*.

Greetings from Berlin
Alex