[TYPO3-commerce] New features for commerce - what do you think

Sascha Egerer seg at softvision.de
Fri Sep 14 17:30:34 CEST 2007

Hello List,
after a couple of discussions with one of our customers we found out that we
have to make some fundamentel changes at the commerce engine.
Certainly we want to make these changes available to everybody / the whole
community.

Though it still leaves the question if we need an own extension for that or
if it is even possible to put it into an own extension.

The initial situation:
A customer offers articles which have multiple attributes.
For example a t-shirt is available in several sizes (S, M, L and XL) and
several colors (red, green, blue, yellow).
These variations should be build by a product. In this example we result in
16 articles. These articles though have the same price.
But there are also articles where different attributes have different
prices.
For example a t-shirt with the imprint A has the same price as a t-shirt
withou an imprint but the t-shirt with the imprint B is 5 euro more
expensive.
(This is only a small example, the customer has products where hundrets even
up to one thousand articles will be build.)

We have considered the following solutions:

1. price for the articles
There should be a possibility to enter a global price for a PRODUCT (!)
The user then can overwrite the price for articles which should have a
different price.

2. attributes with additional charge
It should be possible to enter an additional charge for each attribute.
So the attribute price will be added to the product price dynamicly and as a
result you will get the calculated articel price.

3. extend product article number with attribute article number extension
It should be possible to set an main product number (ean) for PRODUCTS(!).
Also it should be possible to set an article number extension in each
attribute so that the article number can be build dynamicly (product article
number + attribute article number extensions)
Secondary it should be possible to set priorities for the attribute article
number extensions so that there is a clear order.

With these changes it should be much more easier to maintain products with a
high number of articles.

I hope that these change are not to special for adding them into the
commerce core.

I fast Feedback would be great because time is money ;-)

Greetings

Sascha Egerer