[TYPO3-commerce] Commerce: a big disappointment

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Aug 19 13:28:04 CEST 2007

(Mainly to developers of Commerce)

Hi!

I will need a shop extension soon for my own company. Naturaly I went to
look to a fresh shinhing Commerce extension. Well, it seems like it
cannot be really used except than by developers or people who are
willing to spend hours to find how to work with it :(

Normally extension should have either very intuitive interface or at
least a tutorial to understand how to work with it. I could not find
either. I tried making pages for each plugin type to see if it displays
anything. I could not select any of default templates because template
selector does not let to select from extensions (TemplaVoila, for
example, allows it). So I had to copy those to fileadmin. Well... You
know how "good" it is for regular user without Quickplorer extension.

Than I went for configuration of "Product Listing". It wants a "Details
page" but there is no plugin named "Details" or anything. How I am
supposed to figure out what to put there? What is "Number pages
(Pagebrowser)" is supposed to mean? It is just not in English! "show
Pagebrowser" (why with small "s"?) does not do anything: page browser is
always displayed... Looks like someone programmed something in a big
hurry with much care. Would you imagine sucgh style in typo3 core? Never
ever.

Next I wanted to create a product. I want to create a photographic shop.
So I need to specify thumbnail and available image sizes. After watching
a podcast I got an idea that I need to use attributes. Well, ok, I
created "Image sizes" attribute. But what am I supposed to do next? I
could select it in "Shall" (and save form) but nothing happens after
that. How am I supposed to specify these image sizes or put thumbnail?
No wizards to help me making a product...

Sorry guys, may be you made a good extension for yourself and your
clients. But it is completely unusable if one wants to install and do
something quickly with it. And there is no manual.

I do not want to offend you, possibly it works very well for you. But it
  will be problematic for many others to use it unless you do something
to make it more user friendly. At least, write a manual.

By the way, typo3-commerce.org says that it cannot connect to the
database. Looks significant...

Anyone have an idea about other good shop extension for typo3?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/