[TYPO3-4-3] Dialect support in TYPO3

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick-n0-spam- at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:43:10 CET 2010

Currently TYPO3 supports so called 2 letters language codes: en, de ,fr.

That's not enough to reflect cultural clashes like the old
"color-colour" seen in US versus UK or "email-courriel" in France versus
  Québec(french canadian).

So which parts of TYPO3 got involved with this problem? A lot:

- TYPO3 Extension Repository (TER)
- Extension Manager (EM)
- TYPO3 FE (extensions labels) and BE
- User Settings module (language selection)
- Translation Server
- LLXML module

We must also offer some failover so if a fr-ca label isn't found, use fr
(fr-fr) and finally get "en" if nothing ever been translated in french.

We need to change "t3lib/config_default.php" where the actual list of
languages is made available. Around line #414.

We need to revise the TS config for language in FE. Maybe add some
properties.

We also need more flags for "Website language". Easiest part. :)

And provide new documentation to TYPO3 API, TSref, FE Localisation
manual and maybe Inside TYPO3.

The biggest speedbump is TER since translations for T3 sites are
ultimately took from there (not from the translation server) and nobody
on Earth enjoy perusing TER code.

<humor>TER is the Install Tool of extensions. Everybody is afraid to
touch it</humour>.

Patrick Gaumond