[TYPO3-project-4-3] Distributed Pairprogramming in Typo3

Eike Starkmann eike.starkmann at fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 8 14:03:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

Oliver Klee wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>> I do not say that my beliefs are the ony correct ones. I am sure other people may have different experience.
>
> ... for example, me. :-)
And me ;-)

> I've found "real" pair programming (two coders sitting in front of the
> same physical computer) a lot of fun an really productive because ...
>
> 1. the coding was generally faster: we could help each other, move the
> keyboard over when someone was stuck, and the "social pressure" kept our
> focus on the task
>
> 2. it saved us all the time-consuming code review/new version/code
> review etc. cycles
>
> 3. it helps knowledge spreading between the coders

I totally agree with this the points and have made the same experiences
with pair programming, although if there is a big difference of
knowledge its sometimes hard to do. As Dmitry mentioned.

> I haven't tried distributes pair programming (DPP) yet, though. I wonder
> how the communication in DPP works if you cannot talk to each other.

I have experiences with pair programming and DPP as well. One big
advantage in DPP against PP is that both (or even more) can type in the
same document. I know people using Saros for DPP and sitting in the same
room, just for this concurrent editing.
Normally we suggest to use VoIP for communication. Mumble is the
recommended but tools like Skype can do as well.
I think this would be the normal case in Open Source Projects, since you
   don't have the possibility to sit in the same room, right?

Greets Eike

--
Eike Starkmann
This message is part of my Master thesis research. Feel free to contact
christopher.oezbek at fu-berlin.de and stephan.salinger at fu-berlin.de