[TYPO3-project-4-3] logs, messages etc

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 6 18:23:18 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:

>> this is probably a topic for the "to be created" 4.4 project, as we
>> already are in beta1. :)

> i know that, but it's not too late to adjust a bit so we have a "round"
> API, just some finetuning like logging flashmessages as well  etc.

True! Any suggestions on where to start?

What I disliked most is the fact that the FE error output is generated
in the "time tracking" class. Not really very intuitive. :)

Logging uncatched exceptions to sys_log can also probably be useful for
the admin to see "something is wrong". And maybe to devLog (with full
stack trace), if this is active.

We also might need or want a special "PHP Warning handler", which would
not convert the warning to an exception (as this would stop execution),
but instead put the warnings into "flash messages" or log them to devLog
or "whatever".

etc...

> The big whole thing is something for 4.4, yes.
>
>> But I have also thought about those matters a lot and some consistent
>> (and documented) way of handling logs, error, messages would be really
>> appreciated.
>>

> I think most doesn't know what treasures we already have like the
> syslog. It can do so much, like writing to any place / file, email etc.
> But i think underdocumented and so seldom used in real world.

It is documented (in the config_default and "All Configuration" part of
the install tool). But there is a missing document which tells an
administrator which switches can do what to debug or analyse what is
going on on a TYPO3 site. And also one for developers to know where to
send all the errors / debug / information notices to.

Cheers,
Ernesto