[TYPO3-project-4-3] Install tool usability

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Sun May 31 02:23:52 CEST 2009

I just had to install a new site from scratch, and ran into some
usability issues. They're not a problem for me, but new users may become
frustrated to the point of quitting.

1. Downloaded and extracted 4.3 alpha 3 source and dummy package. Loaded
up the browser to go to the new site, and was greeted with a message
that the "ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL" file doesn't exist. Why isn't it part of
the dummy package? There is a warning when you log in to the BE that the
file should be deleted, so security conscientious users will delete the
file after they're done installing.

2. After completing the information on step 1 I was given an error that
localconf.php is not writable, with no other information. a) Shouldn't
there be a check in step 1 to verify file permissions? b) Shouldn't the
message be a bit more user-friendly? For example come up in the install
tool template, and offer suggestions on correcting the problem?

3. After changing the file permissions, and going back to step 1, I was
not able to connect to the DB, no matter what I did. Here is the error
message:
There is no connection to the database!
(Username: , Password: , Host: ).

Go to Step 1 and enter a proper username/password!

I ended up writing the values in localconf.php myself, since I was not
able to figure this out...

4. After successfully connecting to the DB, I moved on to step 2. I
chose to create a new database, which is the recommended option. I typed
in the name, clicked continue, and was greeted with another error:

There is no access to the database ()!
Go to Step 2 and select an accessible database!

Again, no steps for resolution given. I couldn't find the problem, so I
exited the 123 mode and went into the classic install tool to finish the
installation.

I believe the 1-2-3 installer is extremely important, as it gives users
the first impression of TYPO3. As an old saying goes - I don't need to
eat the entire fish to find that it is rotten - users experiencing these
problems when installing their first TYPO3 instance will surely quit
long before I did and go with a different system.

So next question is - how do we fix it?
--
Dan Osipov
Calkins Media