[TYPO3-project-4-3] TYPO3 Distribution Concept for 4.3

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Mon May 11 11:26:29 CEST 2009

Hi,
>> What do you think?
>
> Here're my ideas about a "distribution concept":
>
> * strip down the core even more than now
> * then have different "distributions" for
>     * a blog
>     * a community
>     * corporate site (with DAM f.e.)
>     * news portal
>     * ... other popular combinations of the core + some extensions
>
> To create these packages in an easy and automated way (in fact I can't
> really imagine a non-automated way) we would have to build a new
> packaging system.

Instead of building hundreds of prepacked source/extension
distributions, wouldn't it be much wiser to extend the install tool and
provide a distribution downloader and installer? This could be a
dropdown or a nicely formatted listing, showing available distributions
for the present T3 version. Those information would be fetched on demand
maybe from TER (XML) and consist of "title", "description", "preview
image", "extension list", "additional files like templates/js/css" and a
"sql dump". If a new distribution would be available (maybe they can
also be community driven via TER), it could be used instantly in any
installation without the need to repack anything.

This concept would also be much wiser if you think about security issues
etc. If a security leak is found in a bundled extension, simply update
the required version of the extension to the one of the security-fix and
you're done - no repacking etc.

Just some ideas.
--
kind regards,