[TYPO3-project-4-3] File references, Multimedia

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Mar 27 13:46:39 CET 2009

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>> So i would like to enhance it and make usage much more simple. For this
>> it'S the best way i see to implement it with flash player, as this is
>> the common way streaming data in websites. To fullfil i would suggest to
>> add 2 files to contrib-dir:
>> * player.swf
>> * swfobjects.js
>
> I've used SWFobject only for "normal" flashes and it worked great.

yes, the SWFobject is very general for any flash data in websites.
Do you agree to add this to contrib? I would make this as first step.
pros:
* anyone can reference to it and use it
* media CEs could be build with this as base
cons:
* some bytes more in base package
* license has to be checked

>> The player params could be stored in XML, eg the pi_flexform of
>> tt_content, so no additional fields are needed.
>
> Yes, but for the editor I think we need the MIME-type (?) as subtype, so
> that for flash content you get other parameters than for audio or video
> content.

i will try to cover all this in flexform configuration, and of course
there is need an equivalent configuration for TS.

> But of course it would be handy if you could config also the TS object
> in such a way. I suggest to go the way of the FORM object, ie map the
> configuration of the CE and the TS into an internal structure for the
> real rendering function (note that the implemenation for the FORM object
> is not very good, just take the idea).

i hope we don't need a wizard like the one for FORM, but if my solution
won't be general i will give it try.

> Be ready to fend off folks that cry for XHTML validity ;)

with JS integration this shouldn't be the case, but i'm weaponed :-)

> And maybe the configuration could be so generic that you could replace
> swfobject easily with other players.

yes sure. I have a general configuration in TS in mind which can be
changed easy.

>> The seconf drawback is, that multimedia files mostly are very big, so
>> copy them to uploads will fail by size limit. Ingmar did a nice
>> extension (em_references) which allows with a flag not to copy the file
>> but create a reference. Unfortunally he needed to xclass 3 core files
>> for doing it, please have a look to this extension.
>
> It will come handy for the MULTIMEDIA object, but I think that these are
> two different issues. The MULTIMEDIA object should support but not
> require file references.
>
> Masi

may be the issue #6039 can help here, we'll see.

So now i will start this issue, thx for all your input, feel free to add
comments when ever you got some in mind.

vg Steffen