[TYPO3-project-4-3] New Backend?

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Tue Jun 2 19:24:54 CEST 2009

 > as long as developers with longtime experience of TYPO3 decide how the
 > backend should look like, it will always fail usability. The concept for
 > how the backend has to work has to be defined in "domains" - just like
 > in DDD. The designer of the BE MUST not think in functions that get
 > triggered in the background (we have this function so we have to use it
 > somehow). You have to think what the editor is in need of at this point
 > and not what is already available in the code or how it is right now.

Which is why I think this feature needs to be delayed until 5.0...

 > One thing that I f.e. really dislike in the new top bar in 4.2+ is, that
 > it has been tried to move everything in there, even where it really
 > doesn't make sense. Just have a look at DAM which also has this top bar
 > in the most recent versions. If you try to delete a file there, you get
 > prompted if you really want to delete that file (which is good) - but
 > the buttons you now have to push to either "abort" or "confirm" moved
 > also to the top bar and are a) non descriptive, b) look lost up there,
 > c) no editor is awaiting or finding them there - it was even hard for me
 > to find those. The buttons MUST be clearly visible under the dialog
 > message.

This was actually a compromise between the old look of a button below a
confirmation message, and the new look with the docheaders. The whole
message needs to be redesigned to make it more user-friendly. But other
than that, the new bar is much better than sticking all the options at
the end of the page.
Dan Osipov
Calkins Media
http://danosipov.com/blog/