[TYPO3-project-4-3] New Backend?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Jun 2 18:09:11 CEST 2009

Hi,
> for sure i know the skin.
> But my "provocant" post want to sensibilisize that something more has to
> be done as polish skin.
> There should be a vision at first, thinking about what user expect aso.
> I really look forward to the transition of v4/v5 BE with new design and
> hope that this goes in a different direction. As we have Jens in the
> boat i'm really optimistic to surprise with a modern and competiting BE.

as long as developers with longtime experience of TYPO3 decide how the
backend should look like, it will always fail usability. The concept for
how the backend has to work has to be defined in "domains" - just like
in DDD. The designer of the BE MUST not think in functions that get
triggered in the background (we have this function so we have to use it
somehow). You have to think what the editor is in need of at this point
and not what is already available in the code or how it is right now.

One thing that I f.e. really dislike in the new top bar in 4.2+ is, that
it has been tried to move everything in there, even where it really
doesn't make sense. Just have a look at DAM which also has this top bar
in the most recent versions. If you try to delete a file there, you get
prompted if you really want to delete that file (which is good) - but
the buttons you now have to push to either "abort" or "confirm" moved
also to the top bar and are a) non descriptive, b) look lost up there,
c) no editor is awaiting or finding them there - it was even hard for me
to find those. The buttons MUST be clearly visible under the dialog message.

So as I said - no developer is meant to design the BE unless he can
really think like a regular editor with fading out all technical knowledge.

That's at least the way I see this.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch