[TYPO3-project-4-3] Behaviour of rootLine is suppose to be ... ?

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Thu Jul 2 21:51:29 CEST 2009

Hy;

What is the suppose behaviour of the rootline in this circumstance:

0 - root
`- 1 - normal accessible page
    `- 2 - fe-group page without extendTo
       `- 3 - normal accessible page

What is suppose to happen to the rootline if somebody accesses '3'? Is the entry
sliced out of the rootline?

The current behaviour of the rootLine is by default to truncate the tail. That
does make no sense as that leads to behaviour reserved for the 'extentTo' flag.

The related function is 'checkRootlineForIncludeSection()' in class.tslib_fe.php

The possible behaviours in this case are:
1) fill the access-restricted root-line spot with the correct entry (that will
    leak information, at least the title)
2) fill the access-restricted spot with a dummy/virtual entry (I guess that
    won't work)
3) strip all information from the entry (that will look strange)
4) slice out the entry out of the rootline (that will look less strange)
5) truncate the tail
6) truncate the head (which means we'll get a sub-tree connected to root)

I think it's a decision of common sense to favour point 1 over 5, because
somebody that made that configuration is aware that a possible bread-crump will
leak the information about the existence of the access-restricted page.

The current consequence of applying point 5, is that you must not turn off
fe-group emulation for '3'. That is bad in the current situation because there
is the possibility that the panel is not available by purpose, or by bug
(#11194) - and the simulation is off or carries a distinct fe-group.

I patched my TYPO3 to apply slicing out of the rootline on access-restriction,
and it works sufficiently, even though I can't make guarantees about
side-effects (I will see them earlier or later, maybe you know side-effects out
of memory).

Ciao
	Niels