[TYPO3-project-4-3] Disable Versioning and Workspaces

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Mon Aug 17 10:03:23 CEST 2009

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> That would be neat, but I think this will bring in the same problems we
> have already with DBAL.
>
> There are still plenty of people *using* those features, notably
> workspaces, and those are usually not the ones that could continue
> "maintaining" it, but are just users. Moving that stuff away from the
> core will make every future change to these parts of the core "unaware"
> of workspaces, and at the end it will simply "break" and noone that
> broke it will care (because those are the ones that are not using it)
> and those who are using it won't be able to do anything (because they
> aren't even sure why it broke).
>
> We see the same stuff happening in DBAL, it breaks all the time, there
> are dozens of patches that come in which doesn't care about DBAL at all
> and there are just a very few people that still try to make it work
> (Xavier et al) or at least consider it when reviewing a patch (like Masi
> reminding people patching t3lib_db not to forget DBAL).
>
> Basically it is sad that we have no real manpower to "get into"
> workspaces / versioning and to really continue maintaining it as it
> should. Because it is a cool feature and - yes - it is being
> productively used by a lot of "big TYPO3 players".

the idea is not to remove it from core, the idea is to make core not
dependend on loading version. Core should work without and the
isLodaed-calls should be removed instead using a real API for it.
I know it's not a simple task, but a start would be to disable version
and see where it doesn't work and fix it. Maybe this helps with moving
version/workspace related stuff into a central place

vg Steffen