[TYPO3-project-4-3] Disable Versioning and Workspaces

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Aug 17 09:46:20 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:

> i talked to Rupi today and we discussed one thing i also was puzzled
> about many times while reading core:
> if (t3lib_extMgm::isLoaded('version')) ...
>
> You know, version is mandantory and can't be disabled.
>
> In real life more than 90% of my clients don't use versioning or
> workspaces, so why not give an option to disable it? There are such a
> lot queries only done for finding versioned records which are not needed
> if you don't use it, and disabling would boost performance a lot, i'm sure.
>
> So, what is your opinion?

That would be neat, but I think this will bring in the same problems we
have already with DBAL.

There are still plenty of people *using* those features, notably
workspaces, and those are usually not the ones that could continue
"maintaining" it, but are just users. Moving that stuff away from the
core will make every future change to these parts of the core "unaware"
of workspaces, and at the end it will simply "break" and noone that
broke it will care (because those are the ones that are not using it)
and those who are using it won't be able to do anything (because they
aren't even sure why it broke).

We see the same stuff happening in DBAL, it breaks all the time, there
are dozens of patches that come in which doesn't care about DBAL at all
and there are just a very few people that still try to make it work
(Xavier et al) or at least consider it when reviewing a patch (like Masi
reminding people patching t3lib_db not to forget DBAL).

Basically it is sad that we have no real manpower to "get into"
workspaces / versioning and to really continue maintaining it as it
should. Because it is a cool feature and - yes - it is being
productively used by a lot of "big TYPO3 players".

Cheers,
Ernesto