[TYPO3-project-4-3] Fluid CSSEngine folder structure

Tomaz Zaman tomaz at optiss.si
Fri Aug 14 19:58:50 CEST 2009

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Hi Tomaz, Jigal, etc..
>
> I know the way a regular TYPO3 site construction is worked on and I also
> know that a strict separation of XHTML/CSS and the further "templating"
> in TYPO3 is how most professional agencies work. We also do!
>
> And I agree also that there is no gain for those who don't need any
> other features than what CSS provides by default, and for those who are
> not interested in getting more speedy frontend rendering by reducing the
> number of css files.
>
> Come one guys, once the basis XHTML/CSS is integrated in TYPO3, it turns
> more and more unproductive to continue developing it "outside" TYPO3:
> there is css_styled_content rendering, there are extensions providing
> crazy XHTML-templates with subparts and markers which you cannot style
> outside the TYPO3 environment, there are TypoScript generated content
> which also needs to be styled...
>
> What the CSSEngine brings us is a proven way to get more productive once
> the CSS is integrated in TYPO3. For example concatenating all those CSS
> snippets (the main ones from the "agency", from extensions, from
> TypoScript) into one single CSS file: this is something noone would do
> "by hand", because every component can change at any time. Automating
> this task is pretty obvious to me. Speed improvement guaranteed!
>
> And the additional features which would provide me a way to have more
> "powerful" css syntax is a bonus I will for sure make use! Aren't you
> annoyed about the lack of operations in CSS (e.g. margin-left:
> @main-width - 300px)? Or some way to define "constants" to be used
> throughout the CSS? The XHTML/CSS crack might live without it, but
> maintaining such a CSS is crazy ass boring and error prone.
>
> So my final conclusion: The concept (after all there is no real code and
> my arguments are just considering a final product which would fit my
> vision) is nice but optional. Just like most other features in TYPO3
> are, they can be switched off (or have to be explicetly switched on).
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto

You make a point, although i don't want T3 to handle ANY of my CSS
(except include the file in the output of course :)) because i'm a
perfectionist in that perspective. I don't need CSS that extensions
provide - that CSS is usually made only for authors to be able to see
what they are working, i want full control over that. I still prefer
using 'vi' on the server than clicking around in fileadmin (or any other
tool for file handling).

But yes, that is my way, i don't expect everyone else to work in the
same manner.

Tomaz