[TYPO3-project-4-3] Fluid CSSEngine folder structure

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Aug 14 13:07:54 CEST 2009

Tomaz Zaman schrieb:
> I haven't been using Fluid before, so i'm sorry if my questions are out
> of place.
>
> Why would you want a CSS engine? What is wrong with the current CSS
> approach; I always make a html+css template before working with TYPO3,
> and i make sure everything is valid and cross-browser compatible.
>
> If I would use TYPO3 for my CSS development it would take ages clicking
> around, i normally use a text editor to finish it.
>
> If i need modified stylesheet, i open TextMate and modify it.
> I'm sure all other web professionals take the same approach.
>
> If i need to load different stylesheets on different (sub)pages, there
> are more than one ways to include stylesheets, like TS or TV.
>
> I feel you are solving a problem that does not exist here, adding
> unnecessary complexity to the system, which will only be used by amateur
> developers, while others will ignore it (except maybe for once, to play
> around a bit :)
>
> Again, i'm new on the topic so correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess you haven't really read the post of what CSSengine is supposed
to do: You work with your CSS as you already do, but the CSSengine can
provide some easy ways of doing stuff that has to be automated - well -
automatically:

- minifies your CSS
- concatenates CSS before browser-output (saving some HTTP connections)
- parses your CSS and does some fancy operations (like using a syntax
like in http://lesscss.org/
- maybe more in future...

So basically, you still use your editor, you still include these files
wherever you like, but these might be processed by the CSSengine to give
you even more efficiency.

At least that is what I understood and to which I give my "+1".

Cheers,
Ernesto