[TYPO3-project-4-3] File references, Multimedia

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Apr 2 19:08:27 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> i would like to show you a preview, so you get an idea what i've done so
> far.
> Copy zip-content to typo3/contrib (folder flashmedia) and apply patch.
> Now you have 2 new CEs: SWFobject and QTobject.
>
> Comments are welcome.

I didn't try the patch yet, but I have a question concerning the
direction this is heading to.

As (underlying) Typoscript cObjects I see good reason to have these
objects *, but I don't think they should be content elements.

The editor should IMHO not have to worry if he has a Quicktime video or
a Windows Media video or whatever. All she has to know is that it's a
video. The implementation has then to choose the best rendering method
for the FE. This could be the same player for all supported file formats
or a number of players (eg a Flash player for all types that Flash can
handle and other plugins for the rest).

I'm not sure if it makes sense to have three CE types for Audio, Video
and Interactive Media (Flash and Java Applets) or to have one single
Multimedia CE.

I tend to a single MM CE because then we can have a "Multimedia" and "
Text w/Multimedia" CE. The latter is like "Text w/Image" but supports
only one media file. At least I don't think it makes much sense to have
a grid of MM content.

And don't forget video and audio streaming :) In this case you'll have a
URL and not a file to upload.

Masi

* We need then of course also an MP3object, an WMVobject etc.