[TYPO3-project-4-3] Improving the language overlay performance

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Sep 17 11:51:12 CEST 2008

Francois Suter schrieb:
> Hi,
>
>> For the live version I think you can do the overlays in go on the DB
>> side with SQL functions. All merge rules can IMHO opinion be expressed
>> as IF (Mysq specific) or CASE (ANSI SQL) expression.s
>>
>> Performance for previews doesn't matter so much, I think that it's more
>> important to have a switch that distincs between live and other WS to
>> make the best performance posssible for the former. If you can improve
>> the latter, fine.
>
> I'll keep that in mind when handling workspaces. Currently I'm just
> trying to improve on language overlay.

But this is exactly about language overlay. My point was that you're
fussing with overlays on workspaces where performance is not an issue.
The only optimizing in my opinion should be done for the live WS. And
there you can (my thesis) fetch all records in one go.

 In this case I'm not sure IF and
> CASE statements can be enough, since there are quite some TCA parameters
> than enter the picture when handling translations.

I thougt about that quite some time ago. I didn't really do it, but
AFAIR I didn't find an obstacle at first glance.

Masi