[TYPO3-project-4-3] indexed_search for 4.3

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Fri Sep 12 14:19:45 CEST 2008

Hi.

On 12.09.2008 00:13 Steffen Kamper wrote:

> Also the ajax completition sounds great, but as complex the search
> algorythm is, i fear that it's not done with good performance.
>
> Remember that normal IS is a performance killer for many sites with vig
> big result tables, don't speaking about external file search.

The autocompleter queries can be separated from any complex search query
itself. No impact on the performance of the result query, no
searchword<->resultpage query needed.
(like it is handled in the firefox search box: show suggestions as user
types, but query results are gathered in a second step)

IMHO a DB key for basewords in index_words and queries limited to LIKE
$searchCharacter% should work to fetch all possible search words. But I
admit, I didn't test the performance of this query with huge tables.
These are just brainstorming ideas.

Keep in mind that even some retarded autocomplete suggestions can have a
positive impact on the effectivity of users research. From a users point
of view, this can mean a performance gain in spite of little
autocomplete delays.

--
cheers,
Steffen