[TYPO3-project-4-3] indexed_search for 4.3

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Fri Sep 12 13:55:31 CEST 2008

Hi.

On 12.09.2008 00:13 Steffen Kamper wrote:

> Soundex only works with english, there is no "easy" integration of such
> feature for all languages (i didn't looked at the french one)

My idea was to have some kind of service API for language specific
soundex algorithms. The lexer could check if the actual language is
supported, then call a wrapper function and calculate the according
soundex keys. However this is solved technically, the algorithms can be
natively shipped by IS or by 3rd party extensions.
This would make it possible to support multiple languages concurrently
and even to choose alternative algorithms for one language (e.g. soundex
or metaphone).

For english, there's two native php functions:
http://us2.php.net/soundex
http://us2.php.net/manual/de/function.metaphone.php

For german, there's the "Cologne Phonetic". You can find the code in the
comments of the above soundex function.

The mentioned french extension bases on the phonex algorithm:
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/search_suggestions/1.0.0/info/phonex.class.php/
The implementation bases on some code by Frédéric Brouard:
http://sqlpro.developpez.com/cours/soundex/

I found a double_metaphone algorithm for spanish:
http://www.geocities.com/isloera/spanish_methaphone.txt

That's at least four implementations though I did not test them. I bet
there are some more around.

The index_words table already has a metaphone column. But I have no clue
if it is used at all.

Also performance is an issue here.

--
cheers,