[TYPO3-project-4-3] Generate CE anchors only when necessary

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Sep 5 17:24:48 CEST 2008

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> CSC currently generates an anchor tag for all content elements it
> renders. In an SEO article in the last t3n magazine it has been
> suggested that you modify the TS to remove the anchors completely.

It is bad because:

> But this means you cannot link to them.

I do not see why anchors badly affect SEO. Nothing in my practice suggest this idea. Can you give a bit more information? I monitor SEO for years but never saw anything suggesting that anchors are bad.

> A solution to display them only when they are directly linked to would
> make a lookup in the soft references table. If any relevant links
> (which?) are found then generate the anchor.
>
> What is not covered by that scheme are menus with subsections. But maybe
> these menus can be found via the soft reference to the page the element
> is on.
>
> Any comments or further ideas?

No, this is bad. It is not only TYPO3, who can link to anchors but also external sites. Look, for example, to w3.org. You can link directly to the section on each page, they specially provide anchors for this. I often make content elements separately specially for this purpose (people can link directly to interesting portion of the page).

I am against removing markers. It does not add the value but removes it.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team