[TYPO3-project-4-3] INSTALL.txt

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Nov 10 09:31:21 CET 2008

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Hi Masi,
>
>> If we raised the minimum version to 5 we can get rid of the stupid CLI
>> argument swaps. They are most annoying and confusing and make it harder
>> to pass additional arguments to imagemagick (using an XCLASS).
>
> I think the main reason for still using IM4 was the availability of the
> statically linked (single) binary.

There are - at least for Windows - statically linked binaries around for
later version.

> So fine, if you want to remove the IM4 functionality, I could live with
> it. Those who depend on single binaries can still use them, though they
> are probably in danger, but that's there own problem.

You can compile ImageMagick if you want to. Maybe it's not an option for
everyone, but who will need this kind of binary? If a hoster thinks his
users must use such versions, they should provide those versions.

> If you have a technical problem because we still support IM4, then I'm
> ok with getting rid of it.

I think that stdgraphics is extremely complicated because it tries to
accommodate to various IM versions. Many confusing mask settings and CLI
argument modifications. It's next to being not maintainable. Therefore I
want to get rid of it to simplify the code.

Masi