[TYPO3-project-4-3] Is it time to ship optimized TYPO3 by default?

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick-s-p-a-m at hotmail-sp-a-m.com
Fri Nov 7 16:30:06 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> I disagree - but you know that alreay ;-). We should ship versions that
>> work out of the box.
>
> I know some installations without GD and JSON. Your proposal can be
> hardly be fulfilled :) TYPO3 will never run on any possible
> installation.
>
> TYPO3 is the enterprise level CMS. Its enterprise level requires
> certain configuration. If one company cannot afford good
> configuration, TYPO3 is a wrong tool for such company. This company
> should use phpNuke or other entry level software instead. Seriously,
> I do not understand why the rest of the world should be harmed by
> companies who cannot afford proper configuration to run their chosen
> CMS? If they cannot afford it, why it should be our problem? We want
> fast TYPO3 by default! It is not really fare to ask 99% of users to
> make the same change straight after installation to make performance
> better :)

And we're back to the old question of easiness vs. enterprise I raise
once a year... ;)

Back in the old days the "ready-to-run factor" was something that I was
looking a lot for TYPO3 acceptance and getting new dev blood. Call it
"attractiveness" if you wish.

Today (for me), almost 5 years later, I think TYPO3 had made itself a
name as an "Enterprise CMS" (even without workflow and documents/files
versionning missing...).

We don't need to please 10$/month basement-developers anymore. People
willing to use TYPO3 must be aware that software pretending being
enterprise level are not toys that you can learn in a week. Is there
still people pretending knowing Java by using "Learning Java in 24 hours" ?

I don't think TYPO3 as a product wants or needs to attract hobbyists
anymore.

Am I becoming "elitist" ? Maybe. Or I'm simply acknowledging the fact
that we should concentrate on quality and performance over crappy
hosters... or integrators.

Patrick