[TYPO3-project-4-3] Is it time to ship optimized TYPO3 by default?

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Nov 7 11:51:43 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
>> I think the Install Tool should TRY to activate these .htaccess-files
>> and if it fails due to restricted permission it should display
>> instructions to the user what files he has to rename to get some
>> improvement.
>>
>> Though I see he large advantage of having these files activated I don't
>> think that they should be enabled by default.
>> When you do a HTML/CSS-Layout you make it Crossbrowser so that (ideally)
>> all people with all browsers will get a good result.
>> And we (or let's say you - i'm not a core developer) should provide a
>> CMS that should work in different environments and not break down due to
>>  a single configuration.
>> TYPO3 should be smart enough to work with both, AllowOverride on and off.
>
> I disagree. We should ship optimized version.

I disagree - but you know that alreay ;-). We should ship versions that
work out of the box.

I still think that a separate OptimizedForApache package makes most
sense. The installer could test if AllowOverride works (by trying to
include a htaccess protected JS file) and then suggest the user to
download the optimizer package (with a direct link!).

Masi