[TYPO3-project-4-3] Moving Versioning to sysExtension

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Tue Jun 24 11:42:10 CEST 2008

Hi Benni,

"Benjamin Mack" <benni at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1214299862.10633.typo3-project-4-3 at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hey Steffen,
>
> I thought about that too in the last weeks.

i know :-)

> First, the "versioning" sysext is mandatory. Does anybody know why?

i think it's because the DB fields for versioning are in the extension
tables. So if you want to have your extension prepared for versioning you
have to add this fields.

> If there is a good reason for it, I propose to create another
> sys-extension called "workspace", "workspaces" or "workspaceui".
> We should keep the functionality in the core, and / or keep hooks where
> possible, so we only can disable the UI through uninstalling the ext
> (should be uninstalled by default anyway :)).

that may be difficult.
Disabling the UI should be easy. backend.php needs to ask a module for
rendering the WS selector, list view can be modified to show the icon only
if WS is active, clickmenu has to be modified too.

> Then, the new ext would have a install-time-option "Disable draft
> workspace", which could be a step in the second phase of the project.
>
> Sounds good?

sure :-)

> BTW: I am not familiar with workspaces but I'm willing to test :)

that's great, thx!

vg Steffen