[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

Oliver Hader oliver at typo3.org
Tue Jul 1 00:20:16 CEST 2008

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Gaumond schrieb:
> Mads presented his work at T3CON07. If you got the DVD it's on DVD 2,
> chapter 7 "Using taxonomies to organize your pages and content".
>
> Did Core Team ever look at this ?
>
> Are the principles worth being included into Core ?
>
> In my point of view, Categories are linked to the part of TYPO3 being a
> "Content Management" System...
>
> I see so many possibilities and having this as a core feature seems
> something to aim for.
>
> What people think about this topic ?

I like the idea of using ontologies to "structure" data. I just watched
Mads' session on the T3CON07 DVD but unfortunately the screencast was a
bit blurred and I could just guess what happened on his screen.

However, ontologies or semantics need a very general approach and not
only a direct structured scheme like parent/child or "is related to".

I'm trying to show what I mean from a real life food example (as we all
like eating ;-):
Object "mozarella" (chees)
* property "is of type cheese"
* property "is not gouda"
* property "can be used with object pizza"
* property "tastes good"

As you can see, ontologies [1] are more about describing
multi-structured properties of real life objects in an abstracted way -
the general purpose is to make it understandable for machines. Since
projection of these semantics are non-trivial, a relational model might
not be enough and here are some extendable formats required like OWL,
RDF, RDFS or DAML.

It's IMO a good thing to dig deeper into this stuff and to also think
about having the information, once defined via TYPO3 back-end, also
visible in front-end - again understandable for machines. I know that
it's much, much more, but these are the first steps on the way to enable
semantic web functionalities for TYPO3 v4 & v5.

- olly

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(computer_science)
--
Oliver Hader