[TYPO3-install] Fresh Install --> File permission error when adding new page content

Chris Jensen chris.jensen at usask.ca
Wed May 27 04:20:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm a Typo3 newbee and have just installed the base typo3 package on my
server. The frontend and backend tools both seem to be working and there
are no critical errors displayed in the Install Tool (under "Basic
Configuration").

I can add new pages (via the backend tool), but when I try to add new
page content, I get the following error message: "File not written to
disk! Write permission error in filesystem?"

The problem is that the file permissions on the typo3conf, typo3temp,
fileadmin and uploads directories are already set to 777.

After checking through the forums and documentation, it seems that the
problem might be that PHP is in safemode. If that's the issue, who needs
to be set as the owner of these files/directories to make them writable?
Is there any way to make safemode work or do I need to talk my ISP into
turning it off?

I'd appreciate any insight... I'm looking forward to learning more about
Typo3, but this issue is presenting kind of a bottleneck.

Thanks,
-chris