[TYPO3-install] First frustrations with Typo3, and how can we solve it?

Mario Rimann typo3-coding at rimann.org
Mon Apr 7 19:25:14 CEST 2008

Hi Ronald

Ronald Wiplinger schrieb:
> I have downloaded the packages:
> dummy-4.1.6.tar.gz
> quickstart-3.8.1.tar.gz
> typo3_src-4.1.6.tar.gz
>
> quickstart I could not manage to work at all, since the directory
> typo3_src/tslib does not exist

That seems obvious to me as the quickstart file is from an older major
release (3.x instead of 4.x). But you should be fine without the
quickstart (dummy and source are enough).

> /To follow this tutorial you should now copy the contents of the folder
> "part1/" from this tutorial extension into the folder
> "fileadmin/template/main/". If you didn't import the tutorial extension
> "doc_tut_templselect" from TER you should do that now!/
>
> /Further, if you bypassed the previous section about TypoScript, make
> sure to at least create the page tree as described in the chapter
> “Creating a page structure” and possibly a blank template record.
> /
>

> Where do I get the sample page? I do not have a folder "part1" (how
> would that be anyway in a swx file?)
> I have installed doc_tut_templselect (although I do not understand
> what/where/who is "TER"

The TER is the TYPO3 Extension Repository that you can find either on
http://typo3.org/extensions/ or in your local TYPO3 setup in the Module
called "Extension Manager".

All publicly available extensions are stored in the TER and can be
downloaded and installed via the Extension Manager.

I'm not sure, but the folder "part1" should be found somewhere in
typo3conf/ext/doc_tut_templselect/ (this means inside of the extension
referred above).

> I have created a template according to the previous section of the
> tutorial.
> I looked very hard to find the tickbox "Enable object links" (page 14),
> but could not find it.

I didn't look into that manual - maybe this would have made the
situation clear to me. But "Enable object links" is something I can't
remember. Don't think that I've used this yet...?

> Latest situation is now:
> the root page has a template:
> # Configuring the Auto-Parser:
> plugin.tx_automaketemplate_pi1 {
>     # Read the template file:
>   content = FILE
>   content.file = fileadmin/template/main/template_1.html

Does this file exist? Does it contain an HTML page?

>     # Here we define which elements in the HTML that
>     # should be wrapped in subpart-comments:
>   elements {
>     BODY.all = 1
>     BODY.all.subpartMarker = DOCUMENT_BODY
>
>     HEAD.all = 1
>     HEAD.all.subpartMarker = DOCUMENT_HEADER
>     HEAD.rmTagSections = title
>
>     TD.all = 1
>   }
>
>     # Prefix all relative paths with this value:
>       relPathPrefix = fileadmin/template/main/
> }
>

> # Default PAGE object:
> page = PAGE
> page.typeNum = 0
> page.config.disableAllHeaderCode=1
>
> page.10 =< plugin.tx_automaketemplate_pi1

Without testing - that looks fine so far. If the file exists, this
should bring you a page I think...

> Although I have set on the Page/root page a content (left column a
> picture, middle column a "Hi I am here" text) the page shows now
> nothing, not even an error.

Well, the page should just show the same stuff that is contained in the
HTML template file I think. You didn't define anyting else. Means, you
didn't tell TYPO3 how and what it should output. Yes, you have to tell
TYPO3 that it should output the content of a page. (Sounds strange to
someone that is new in TYPO3 - but it is like this. Later you'll see
that this is a big advantage of TYPO3).

Hope you'll find your way. The first site is the hardest...

Cheers,
Mario