[TYPO3-install] Need help to set up my V-Server for TYPO3

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Sep 24 08:31:50 CEST 2007

Hi Sönke,

> last week I decided to rent an own V-Server. My experience in Linux and
> administration of a Server is not very well, but I have no fears of the
> Shell and I really want to learn the administration.
>
> The V-Server is the  V-PowerServer A from Strato:
> http://www.strato.de/v-power/index.html

Just a hint: If you are learning Linux administration, then you should
probably not do this in the Internet environment. One or two
misunderstandings, and your mailserver is configured as an open relay,
blacklisting will be the consequence of it.

Additionally, playing around with different packages and their usefullness
is probably also easier when you do this on a local system first...

> I've installed TYPO3 on my given System (openSUSE 10.1 & Plesk 8.2) to
> test if its working. I'm trained with Plesk because my old Webspace has
> also Plesk for administration. Of course - you might think "This funny
> guy wants to learn, how to administrate a server, but make still use of
> Plesk". If you think so, you are right ;-) But currently I dont have the
> heart to do everything by hand.

So why did you choose a vserver then?

> After the installation of TYPO3 I checked in the Install-Tool, if the
> Image-Processing is work fine - but it doesn't. ImageMagick was missing,
> so I started YAST and installed it with a lot of many other needed
> tools. After a restart of the Apache everything worked fine - excluding
> "Read PDF" and "Read AI".

IM/GM depend on GhostScript for this.

> The next question is a bit OT, but how is it possible to get an overview
> about the installed Software and its versions, so that I can see what's
> installed and what's missing?

rpm -qa
=> List of all packages

rpm -qa | grep -i "name"
=> Do a case-insensitive search for "name"

> Is it necessary to configure IM after the installation?

IM/GM have no configuration files. All you need to adjust is how TYPO3 calls
them.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out