[TYPO3-GSoC] Re: Status Update: BuilderFoundation & TemplateBuilder

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 20:27:19 CEST 2013

Update: 02 Sep 2013

♫ I've moved to Virginia, USA. That's two timezones closer to Germany, so virtual meetings should be more convenient.
☠ I drove a moving truck from UT to VA. I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to code things up. :(
☠/♫ After a couple of days digging out from under the pile of boxes, the furniture is finally all set up, including my desk with a wonderful new 4'x8' (about 1.2m x 2.4m) whiteboard on the wall. I hoped setting up the apartment would be faster... No such luck.

ⓘ School starts Sept 03, but I'll keep working on this through the end of the coding period, and beyond.

I think the Template Builder is an important part of making Neos marketable in the USA. The biggest complaints I heard about TYPO3 CMS (including when I was the one complaining) were often about templating. I really want this to be a success, even though I won't have this complete by the end of the summer. I've been a member of the TYPO3 community for over a decade now, and I intend to stick around.

While offline, I:
✔ Read the PHPUnit manual
Manually testing a library is weird for me. When I've written simple apps in the past, I could get direct input/output with print or debug statements, but this is a library. I could add a command line component, but that seems counter-productive, because it doesn't need a commandline part. It should be used from within other Flow apps. Wrapping my head around how someone can "use" or "test" my code has been an endeavor. So, I figured the best way to see if my code works would be through UnitTests, but I haven't written unit tests before. That's why I read the manual.

~~~
Legend:

✔ done
➜ next steps