[TYPO3-GSoC] Typo3 "Core updater".

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Apr 29 23:00:47 CEST 2013

Hi Kostya Polosin,

Kostya Polosin wrote:

> Hello, My name is Konstantin Polosin, I'm from Ukraine, Luhans'k. I want
> to participate GSoC 2013 with Typo3. Project Core update. I believe that
> this is important Projects for many users typo3.
> Many users want to have access to a comfortable and a quick update. I am
> confident that I can help many people to get what they want!

Definitely a hot topic.

See this answer of me on how to get started with TYPO3.
http://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&th=195936&goto=681159&#msg_681159

A core updater sounds like a cool project, but believe me, it is more
complex that is sounds at the beginning ;)

You will need to keep thinks in mind like:
* DB Updates
* Old extensions that might break PHP (Fatal error)
* Modified extensions
* Modified core
* Various setup methods on various operation systems (symlink, no symlink,
read/write access, multi-site setups, git repository, etc)
* Upgrade wizards that need to be run
* Unavailability of required tools or PHP extensions (zip, tar, gzip)

Of course you can limit on a sup set for the beginning, e.g. only support
direct installs without symlink.

Also take a short trip in you favorite search engine to find working code
which gives you a sneak peak into what needs to be considered.

Don't forget to hand in your student application on time!

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!