[TYPO3-GSoC] gsoc 2013 : student introduction

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Apr 29 22:49:02 CEST 2013

Hi Navdeep,

Navdeep Bagga wrote:

> I am finding the tools by which unit testing and code refactoring can
> perform. Please guide me how should I start working on it.

Download the introduction page from the main download page:
http://typo3.org/download/

Install this and maybe check the Getting Started Tutorial.
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/GettingStartedTutorial/
This should get you started with the basic concepts of TYPO3. Do not be
afraid of large number of pages, thus tutorial has lots of screenshots :)

Once you did this, it is time to create a dev platform.

Clone the central git repository from:
git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git
as outlined in the Contribution Walktrough
http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine
or
http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine_on_Windows

Remove the folders typo3 and t3lib inside your Introduction Package
installation and replace them by symlinks to the corresponding folders in
the git clone.

Now you can check the issue tracker and try to fix a simple issue.
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/issues
Make yourself familiar with git (do not forget the gerrit hooks as outlined
in the guide), the contribution workflow and the commit message rules.
http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_(Git)

While you are at it, you also might want to have a short look at our code
formatting guide lines (CGL).
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CodingGuidelinesReference/

As a last step, go to the extension manager and download+install the
extension phpunit. Create a new backend user named _cli_phpunit.
A new module will show up that lets you run the unit tests. You can also
invoke the unit test suites from the shell by running
$ ./typo3/cli_dispatch.phpsh phpunit path/to/tests
or
$ ./typo3/cli_dispatch.phpsh phpunit -c \
  typo3/sysext/core/Build/UnitTests.xml
to run all tests that are currently automatically check by Travis CI.

Have a time and always a green bar feeling
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!