[TYPO3-GSoC] How to get started?

Tobias Liebig tobias.liebig at typo3.org
Tue Apr 16 10:34:19 CEST 2013

Hej Ashutosh,

great to hear you are interested in participating TYPO3s GSoC.
First, you should pick one of the ideas which is the most interesting for you. As we have several products (TYPO3 CMS, Flow, Neos) it depends on your interests, which project you choose and how to get started.
In case of a TYPO3 CMS related idea, I suggest to make yourself comfortable with TYPO3 CMS. Try to setup a page and/or try to install the TYPO3 Introduction Package [1].
Figure out how extensions for TYPO3 work, read about extbase (our MVC framework) and Fluid (our template engine). Browse thru the code of the TYPO3 Core in Git [2].
If your chosen project is related to Flow or Neos, you should setup such system and try to figure out how things work there.
Maybe you also want to start by contributing a patch/bugfix and make yourself familiar with our review system Gerrit [3][4]?

BTW, our application template can be found here [5]. You can start to hand in your project proposal on google-melange from April 22th 19:00 UTC.

[1] http://typo3.org/download/
[2] https://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git
[3] review system: https://review.typo3.org/#/q/status:open+project:TYPO3v4/Core,n,z
[4] so called easy tasks: http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/issues?query_id=219