[TYPO3-english] lightbox falis

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Jun 5 11:46:23 CEST 2017

Hi,

On 04/06/2017 23:42, Peder Høy Kristensen wrote:
> Well, I need it
> 1) because a costumer want a slider for sponsor-advertisements with
> links to the websites of the sponsors
> 2) because a costumer want the possibility to click and se images bigger
> size in a popup-window and the possibility to cycle through the pictures
> on the current page.

A slider is nothing but blocks of content with some JavaScript which
only displays one of them at a time and makes some transition between them.
A lightbox is nothing but some JavaScript which handles the link to the
large image by displaying it in some modal block.

Lightbox functionality is supported by TYPO3's clickenlarge feature. The
various JavaScript lightbox implementation differ with regard to the
specific attribute and value they use to trigger their way of displaying
the large image. You only need to use some TypoScript to configure this.

> I think: What are extensions for? Why should I write/modify javascripts
> for those purposes, when existing extensions written by skilled
> developers are available?

Some extensions are a shell around some normal configuration. E.g. a
Google Analytics extension simply adds some JavaScript to each page by
setting up a piece of TypoScript. You could easily have added that
TypoScript yourself.

Apparently the extension you try to use have a conflict. They somehow
manage to add conflicting configuration to the system. Christian
obviously tried to help you by suggesting that you could solve the
situation by not relying on these conflicting extensions and simply
adding the TypoScript configuration yourself.

Extensions are mostly not created to help mankind. In most cases someone
needed to solve a problem for a project and created a solution for it.
They were nice enough to share it with the world in the form of a TER
extension. Unfortunately these extensions are sometimes limited in the
way they work together with other extensions; that was not necessary in
the original project and thus they were not designed to work together
with specific other extensions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor