[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 4.5 Backend Page Tree does not load on SSL

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2015.trash.schams.net
Tue Sep 15 14:03:20 CEST 2015

On Sun, 2015-09-13 at 23:11 -0400, Mr Learner wrote:

> My TYPO3 site is running on 4.5. The site is being configured to pass
> though SSL. SSL termination happens at the Load Balancer level. When the
> site is accessed through HTTPS (SSL) the backend Page Tree and few other
> pages doesnt load, however the site loads fine.
[...]

It's a long shot but what's your current setting of lockSSL?
Go to the Install Tool -> all configurations -> ['BE']['lockSSL']

https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/SecurityGuide/GuidelinesIntegrators/GlobalTypo3Options/Index.html#lockssl

I assume the cause of your issue is that your browser retrieves data via
HTTPS, but some resources (active content such as JavaScript files) are
included as HTTP. Modern browsers block this kind of mixed content due
to security settings.

If I understand correctly your LB acts as the SSL endpoint and all
requests between the LB and the instance are HTTP only. This setup is
perfectly fine, but it means your browser believes it retrieves all data
via HTTPS, whereas TYPO3 sees all incoming requests via HTTP.

In an ideal world you convince TYPO3 to use https:// when including
files and generating links - even if the page is accessed via HTTP.

A fallback could be to enable SSL on the server, too, and configure the
LB to pass through HTTP requests as HTTP and HTTPS as HTTPS.

Again... I am just suggesting options... I have not tried this yet, but
keep me updated - it's an interesting topic :-)

Cheers
Michael