[TYPO3-english] what are the reasons to upgrade from PHP5.2 to newer ?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Nov 15 21:19:34 CET 2015

Hi,

On 13/11/2015 04:17, Chai name wrote:
> our customer is worried about upgrading their own system specifications
> as it may effect whatever is  already running on the server
>
> so
>
> - What are the potential risks for them to  upgrade ?    backward
> compatibility  or ..... your opinion......?

Other applications that are running on that server might be affected. If
you can't upgrade them to newer versions that are compatible with recent
versions of PHP then you could consider a few options:
- have a sysadmin configure the server that it can different versions of
PHP in parallel
- use a new server for the new website (and let the other stay on the
old server)

Security considerations

All the time people discover small (or large) errors in code that have
implications for security. These need to be repaired, otherwise your
server could be vulnerable for attacks by unfriendly people.
Old versions of software are simply not maintained anymore and thus
security issues are not repaired. If you keep using these versions your
servers will automatically become vulnerable.

Just like Windows XP is not maintained anymore and should not be used,
PHP 5.2 is also "end of life" for quite a while.

Speed as a bonus

For quite some years the developers of PHP also improve the speed of
PHP. This means that applications written in PHP become faster with new
versions of PHP. As a result your web pages will show up faster and the
server can handle more page visits without adding more hardware.

New software needs new tools

As written elsewhere, as older versions of TYPO3 become unmaintained you
need to upgrade to newer releases. These newer releases require newer
versions of the tools they use.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor