[TYPO3-english] Which scheduler cleanup tasks do you set up?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sat Jan 10 00:28:19 CET 2015

Hi Urs,

Urs Braem wrote:

> So, how do you do it, which of these do you run, say, nightly?
>
> Caching framework garbage collection
> This task calls the garbage collection of configured caching framework
> caches which use one of the selected backends. This will free some space
> in cache backends which do not have an internal garbage collection. In
> case of the default database backend it is advisable to run this task once
> a day when the database is mostly idle

It is a good idea to run this.

> File Abstraction Layer: Update storage index
> Updates the Index/Cache Data of a Storage; only needed if changes to the
> storage are possible outside the backend (FTP, RemoteStorages).

Only need if you editors can upload files via FTP or any other way besides
the backend.

> File Abstraction Layer: Extract metadata in storage
> Extracts metadata for all files in storage which have been changed since
> last run

This should run after the one above. I usually turn it on anyway.

> Fileadmin garbage collection
> This task empties all "_recycler_" folders below fileadmin. This helps
> free some space in the file system

Only need if you use the recycle feature, that means if you have a least one
folder _recycle_

> Table garbage collection
> Task to delete old entries from specific tables like sys_log. Use
> $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['SC_OPTIONS']['scheduler']['tasks']
['tx_scheduler_TableGarbageCollection']['options']['tables']
> to configure tables. Refer to the manual for more details

It is a good idea to run this one at least once a week.

> and, obsolete,
> [OBSOLETE] File Abstraction Layer: Indexing job
> Runs indexing tasks based on an indexing configuration and a
> storage/folder information."

Not needed any more. This just exists to avoid a broken backend after
upgrading from 6.1

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!