[TYPO3-english] Re: Re: Looking for Tutorial for own compatibility extension

anybody christian-alexander.caroli at web.de
Thu Apr 30 12:23:34 CEST 2015

Quote: Bernd Wilke[2] wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 08:36
> Am 29.04.15 um 17:24 schrieb anybody:
> > I know the problems of that extension. So I am looking for a more light
> > weight solution.
> >
> > For the time till autumn I have to look that all extensions get updated
> > - I hope that there will be not too many problems so that I need perhaps
> > one or two functions / classes or a new extension (like the oldtimers
> > forcerealurl or kb_customhead - but I did not test it till now, perhaps
> > it works or not). There is the problem that the LTS system does not
> > encourage the developers of extensions to develop quickly (some
> > extensions are just now arriving at v6.2).
>
> it's not the LTS which encourage or force. the users force (and/or help)
> an extension author to update.
> it's a chicken-or-egg problem:
> the users wait for the extensions updates,
> the extension-author waits for the users update request

I think it is more complex:
- When I began with my first productive Typo3 page (learning by doing) in 2006 with v4.0.0 (before I made some first tests with the last version of the v3 branch) a new v4.x meant that the most were looking for a soon update. Also coming v4.5 it needed maximum one month till the most extensions were corrected for the new version.
- After v4.5 many people continued with v4.6 and v4.7.
- Then v6.0 came. It was the first big break of backward compatibility. The first two months it was difficult to upgrade because there were many extensions without update. But for the people having updated to v4.7 it was necessary to find some solutions. The positive side was that I kicked off many extensions or changed them with new ones. But some fields are still not possible (e.g. some working forum as real Typo3 extension). The result is that many pages are still running with Typo3 v4.5 or even the not more supportet v4.7 (I know minimum one public institution / university running with Typo3 v4.7)
- The next versions were also a big adventure, because there were many breaking chances. Everytime I had to look for a point when migration was possible.
- Because of the LTS of v4.5 and the exspected release date of v7 LTS I have the feeling that v6.2 LTS will be forever the version the most people had to use just for the migration vom v4.x to v7.

- When v6 or v6.2 came, I posted in the forge at some extensions important for me the issue of compatibility. Many developers ignored it. Some developers of greater extensions were telling on their webpage that they need time for developing a compatible version (some till today). Often it was told that there are only few ressources of time / money. Some asked for sponsoring. I am not an agency, my budget for websites is very low; although I understand the problem of few ressources, I cannot solve it. If I would be an agency, I would not ask here for some cheap tutorial for a problem about which a professional programmer can only laugh.

- By this experience I think it would be fine if the Typo3 organization begins to communicate soon what we have to exspect from v8, because I begin to think to move to some alternative with better developement dynamics.

- I think it would be in the interest of many (expecially small) users, if the Typo3 organisation would publish a documentation of compatibility6 that makes it possible to copy the contents into an own extension and to delete the parts not more needed.

> > But really problems I have with the removal of "config.xhtml_cleaning".
> > I have some pages with extensive usage of namespaces and RDFa (since one
> > year in XHTML5 before in XHTML+RDFa), but without rendering correction
> > Typo3 does not even render a correct link tag for the CSS links (only
> > single tags without ending slashes). I think the most browsers would
> > render it also as HTML5, but this would not more be clean code, but the
> > resurrection of primeval HTML usage which is today not more accepted.
>
> AFAIK xhtml_cleaning has bugs by concept from the begining.
> after a bugreport lately it was considered to be to complex to really
> fix to the original purpose it was set deprecated.
> you may get the code and insert it into an own extension, but you might
> have a lot of work if you want to give it the full functionality the
> name promises: cleaning html into xhtml without loss of data

Expecially I need something making the job of the classical xhtml_cleaning. This means that it corrects the output of the parser in an elementary way. Many problems I solved by not using a RTE (makes the code much cleaner), correcting some extension templates (e.g. replacing named entities by HEX entities) or using some TS options for the rendering, but mainly the problem with the ending slashes at single tags (like the CSS links) I could not solve in an easy way.
I know that this feature was not more developed since its introduction and made sometimes problems. Anywhere in the v6 times the option "all" was not more working with the wished results, just only the option "output".
I made also a feature task in the forge for the extension sourceopt, but I did not get any reaction till now.

> bernd
> --
[sorry link limit for low posters]