[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2.2 and UTF8 file system: [SYS][systemLocale]

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed May 7 17:05:10 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 7-5-2014 14:06, Michael Schams wrote:
> The Install Tool in TYPO3 6.2.2 informs me, that:
>
> $GLOBALS[TYPO3_CONF_VARS][SYS][systemLocale] is not set. This is fine as
> long as no UTF-8 file system is used.
>
> I did not see this before... is this new? :-)

The warning is quite new, the setting exists since 4.5.0 :-)

> So, I assume, I should tick the checkbox at [UTF8filesystem], but are
> there any recommendations for [systemLocale] for my setup, e.g. "LC_ALL"?

systemLocale is only used for some functions which produce incorrect
results if the LC_CTYPE locale is not set to a correct locale.
Because the FE and BE usually have their own locale set (to produce
correct date formats, etc.) the local must be temporarily switched.

This locale is only used if a UTF-8 file system is used. If you have
disabled the setting for a UTF-8 file system file names are cleaned
during upload and there is no need to switch locales.

So, if you have a file system that supports UTF-8 and you want to use
file names with accented characters you need to activate
[UTF8filesystem] and set [systemLocale] to a UTF-8 locale which is
present on your system.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor