[TYPO3-english] What is the proper upgrade procedure from 4.5.3 to 6.1 ?

Christoph Stadler christophe at stadler.com
Tue Mar 18 16:27:26 CET 2014

hello,

i am trying to update my install to a more recent version of t3. My old
install is using a lot of extensions, most of all templavoila.

I am not using the symlink for the sourcecode but have the typo3 and
t3lib folder in the main install folder ... ideally i'd like to change
this so futre updates/upgrades are easier.

What would be the right way to do this, i've tried but almost everything
breaks, instead of the login page i only get code listed and althought
the frontend still works partly there are also a lot of things broken there.