[TYPO3-english] ext. manuals on typo3.org not accessible

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Wed Mar 5 13:49:13 CET 2014

Hi Pero,

Pero Peric wrote:

> Yeah, when i was starting with TYPO3 back there 2004 i was very WOW
> about documentation. It was very good, but i have feeling that during
> years not much changed there. I mean it was ok, TYPO3 didn't change so
> drastically so it was fine. Now with this FLUID things are changing.
> Good documentation/tutorial like modern template building would help a
> lot.

We definitely lack templating tutorials. This is partly because we did not
want to emphasize a holy grail of templating while the actual new way was
not that clear.
TYPO3 always gave you a lot of freedom on how to do templating. Besides some
best practices, we (in the meaning core team, or official guys) never tried
to emphasize one way. Whether this is good or bad — I don't know; but for
sure it creates problems for newcomers.
On top of that, not everyone is a good writer.

The documentation was always a bit outdated. This changed during the last
three years, because of the tremendous work of a few volunteers.
Currently, the most important references are up2date. What is really missing
(partly because of me) is the Getting Started tutorial.

Additionally we need to have a better entry page that guides the newcomer to
the relevant documentation.

After all we lack manpower. If you want to help or you know someone who
wants to help us with those tasks, I am happy to guide them into it.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!