[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 and character encoding problems

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Jul 12 02:44:08 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 10-7-2014 11:54, Pero Peric wrote:
> On 10.7.2014. 11:10, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> What could be done is:
>> - first convert table and fields to latin2. C384 C28C => C48C
>> - second convert fields to binary data type and convert that to utf-8

I prepared a converter for this specific situation. Unfortunately I had
no time to test the modification.

http://www.typo3coder.nl/fileadmin/downloads/db_utf8_fix_pero.zip

The PHP script should be stored in the fileadmin directory (this makes
sure it can find the database connection data) and can be called from a
browser.
In the beginning of the script is a safety setting:
define('SIMULATE', TRUE);
In this state it doesn't execute any query that modifies data. You can
use it to verify that the script can access the database.
If you change the TRUE into FALSE it will be active!

Judging from your server character set you described earlier and the
fact that a Č character is in your data, I guessed that the texts could
be stored in the latin2 character set. If this guess is not correct,
change it in the script.
An overview of the differences can be found at [1].

Again, back up your database before running the script.

While running it will produce a lot of dots to keep the connection
between the server and your browser.

[1] http://www.terena.org/activities/multiling/ml-docs/iso-8859.html

--
Jigal van Hemert