[TYPO3-english] Can't install statcounter / google analytics

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Jan 11 17:29:01 CET 2014

Hi,

On 11-1-2014 16:13, thijs wegkamp wrote:
> I've been trying to install statcounter code on my bosses website ( runs
> Typo 4.2.9). I can access the FTP but have not been able to find the
> correct pages to put the code in.
> I've looked through pretty much every map,  especially typo3   ,
> typo3conf and fileadmin. Can anyone please help me locate the right
> path? Is it me or am i unable to install because of  an old Typo version?

You're probably aware that this is a really old TYPO3 version which
isn't supported with bugfixes anymore and that it's just waiting for
someone to hack it.

You don't need to change any files with FTP to add features to TYPO3.
TYPO3 is a CMS (Content Management System). It has a backend interface
where administrators and editors log in to modify the content and/or the
configuration.
If your boss doesn't have access anymore as administrator then you can
use the FTP access to create a new admin user [1]. This information is
on a public website, so you would've found it yourself in the end :-)

Now you're problem of adding statcounter code to pages. TYPO3 has its
own configuration language TypoScript that is used also to configure
what is output on a page. This usually takes quite some time to get used
to, so it might take too much time for you to complete this task.

Maybe the easiest solution is to find a TYPO3 integrator or agency in
your neighbourhood to do the work for you. Adding Google analytics code
to the configuration is done with a few lines of TypoScript. For someone
who is experienced in creating websites with TYPO3 this is a simple task
and shouldn't cost too much time.

If you want to study TypoScript and do the task yourself, a short
introduction is available [2]. More documentation can be found on that
site through the "TYPO3 CMS" menu-item on the top.

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/FAQ/Reset_admin_password
[2] http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptIn45MinutesTutorial/

--
Jigal van Hemert