[TYPO3-english] Which Typo3 version to use?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Dec 22 22:30:22 CET 2014

Hi,

On 22/12/2014 11:42, Sarfaraz Khan wrote:
> I have been assigned a task to research on the various Typo3 versions
> and to find which version is best for the building the responsive design
> based website? I have to migrate the existing responsive design based
> website built in Symfony2 to Typo3 and I am confused to use which
> version of Typo3. Currently I am using Typo3 4.5. Is there any unique
> feature provided by the version 6.2 that is important to use?

First of all look at the information on the download page [1]:
- 4.5 will have updates till March 2015 (just over three months left!)
- 6.2 will have updates till March 2017 (more than two years)
- 7.x is stable enough to be used, but the final LTS version will be
released in autumn 2015; each step towards this release is stable but
with each sub-release new features will be added.

Next you can look at the new features for 6.2 (and possibly 7.0) on [2].
Use the tab for the version and read the information in the PDF. In 6.2
there are features for responsive images, compared to 4.5 there are
loads of improvements (from versions 4.6, 4.7, 6.0 and 6.1 also) which
include a File Abstraction Layer for file handling, accessibility
improvements for generated HTML and countless other areas.

For the limited support period of 4.5 alone I would advice to use at
least 6.2.

[1] http://typo3.org/download
[2] http://typo3.org/download/release-notes/whats-new/

--