[TYPO3-english] 6.2 and png's

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Apr 7 20:36:44 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 7-4-2014 20:08, Markus Klein wrote:
> without knowing too much about possible causes here, I can only tell
> you a story we have on a system:
> We have an issue with ImageMagick on a server where IM generally
> works with the Installer tests, but segfaults with a specific PDF
> file. That causes the filelist (with activated thumbnails) to fail.
> The PDF file is not corrupted and all possible viewers didn't show
> any warning. It was created by Adobe Acrobat. So a bug in IM (ok,
> segfault is a severe bug) can cause weird stuff to TYPO3 filelist.

I've seen it also with IM in the past. I say "in the past" because we
make sure that GM is on all systems. GM generally uses less resources
and seems to suffer from less bugs. Even though IM is porting a lot of
GM code they keep on making breaking changes in patch level releases
(recently they changed the default color space resulting in dark images
on some systems).

GM also has problems with certain PDF files. When I performed the same
action on the command line myself an error was shown. Upon investigating
further I found that others encountered the same problem. To cut a long
story short, it turned out that even Adobe Acrobat didn't always produce
files that comply with the PDF standard.

>> Examining install tool I notice there is no Graphics Magick, but Image Magick
>> is there. And testing image formats gives ok results for png format too.

Try GM for a change. If you have GM on the server check the Install Tool
in the configuration presets section. There are pre-cooked settings for
IM and GM, and maybe on your server the IM settings were activated.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!