[TYPO3-english] Multi-language workflow

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Sep 23 15:10:25 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 23-9-2013 12:28, amadeo Marketing & Design - Paul Garais wrote:
> 2) I think this question is regarding real_url which is also in use for
> this site: Since only translated pages and content-elements are shown
> for the choosen language, a page would not be visible in the navigation
> of the english version if it is only there in standard language. But if
> you move to the page in standard language and use the language-switch
> navigation to call the english version, TYPO3 shows a error message
> because the translation is missing. I would like to change this
> behaviour so TYPO3 shows automatically the next parent-page from the
> tree which has the desired translation instead of the error-message. Is
> it possible with some real-url-configuration or maybe directly through
> TYPO3?

Why not have a language selector that only provides a link to an
alternative language if the page exists for that language?

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/FrontendLocalizationGuide/BasicSetupOfALocalizedWebsite/LanguageSelectorMenu/Index.html

The Frontend Localization Guide is a bit old, but the concepts and
settings are still valid. Most of the examples still work, but you might
have to adapt a bit to the new layout of dialogues and names of options.

It's doesn't appear to me as a RealURL issue, because RealURL only
translates the usual TYPO3 URLs like
index.php?id=15&L=2&tx_myext[someoption]=somevalue to 'speaking URLs'
like /language/path/to/a/page/some_ext_option/some_translated_value
(depending on the configuration).

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor